Ok guys, another “crazy” idea from the world of Holly… I’m going to be wearing the same dress 5 days in a row during London Fashion Week!
Need a little bit of background info? Well, as you know, I’m a member of the Junior League of London, a women’s organization devoted to promoting volunteerism, developing women, and reducing poverty. Back in November, I wrote about one of our annual fundraisers, Boutique de Noel. The second largest fundraiser we do is called the Little Black Dress Initiative and it’s right around the corner!
The Little Black Dress Initiative started last year and coincides with London Fashion Week. During this week, Junior League members across London commit to wearing 1 black dress for 5 working days in a row. The aim of doing this is to:
1. To highlight the story of those in need who have few resources, i.e., interview/work clothes, to enter the employment process and to remain at work;
2. To understand how limited resources can affect daily life; and
3. To fundraise for our incredible projects within the London community.
So, yeah, the “crazy” idea is that I’m planning on participating this year! It’ll run from February 23rd to 27th and I’ll be wearing the same black dress every day in different ways.
Sure, I’m not going to work during that week but it doesn’t make the cause any less real or the task of looking good in the same dress five days in a row less challenging. In fact, with the added challenge of possibly having a newborn or going into labor during that week, this could get really interesting.
Here’s what you can expect:
- The Dress – A simple black maternity dress loaned to me by my sister-in-law (pictured above).
- The Updates – Each day, I’ll take a picture of my outfit and also share a few words about my experience. I have no idea what that week will bring so even I can’t wait to see how I get on with it!
- Your Part – I mentioned this is a fundraiser, so that’s where you get involved. If you like what you see, please consider supporting the cause financially by donating on my VirginGiving page.
Can’t wait to see where the week takes us 🙂